A simple math equation that changed my perspective about compounding forever is here.
1% bigger than 1 is 1.01. 1% smaller than 1 is 0.99. The difference is just 1% this side or that side. That is very obvious. What is not so obvious is the significant change (both good and bad) in the result when compounded over 365 days. Especially with less the result is 1500+ times. This is why probably Einstein said
"Compound interest is the eighth wonder of the world. He who understands it, earns it; he who doesn't, pays it."
The 1% principle is crystal clear but "how do I apply it every day and know that I have compounded every day? It is overwhelming to track and see it for real".
Fair question. It overwhelmed me as well, till I realised the simplicity of the principle below.
Here is a simple math again. If you look at our awake hours, that is about 16 hours. I am assuming you are getting a good sleep of 8 hours. If I convert the 16 hours to minutes, that is about 960 mins. 1% of this is just 9.6 minutes. Using 9.6 minutes better everyday provided you did not degrade the other 950 minutes, you would compound better.
Here are some suggestions to hone the 1% principle in your everyday life in the major elements of well being.
- You can do a HIIT for 10 minutes everyday and that gives you exponential ROI when done for 365 days.
- You can meditate for 10 minutes everyday. Focus on your breath, letting go of distracting thoughts and setting a positive tone for the day.
- You can write your morning pages everyday. You can dump your thoughts in a few pages and start the day in a clean slate.
- You can do gratitude journal in the evening. Write down three things that you are genuinely grateful for. This helps you shift your focus from what is lacking to what is abundant.
- You can do daily reflection before bedtime. This enhances your self awareness and keeps you grounded.
- You can read 10 pages everyday.
- You can write an article and publish everyday. This makes you a learning machine.
- You can watch your breath for 10 mins everyday. It brings in mental clarity and sharpness.
- You can mindfully eat a meal. Chew slowly and digest well. It makes a huge difference to your health. It also brings your attention to the present moment.
- You can do walking meditation or mindful walking. Walking in barefoot, focusing on each step, feeling the ground beneath gives enhanced concentration.
- You can allocate 10 mins of no screen time everyday mindfully. Digital detox can help in improved cognitive function and rejuvenated mind.
- You can practice loving kindness towards yourself and beings around you everyday. It enhances your emotional well being and mental acuity.
- You can declutter your space/ your desk. A cluttered environment can lead to a cluttered mind. Decluttering helps in promoting mental sharpness.
- You can practice active listening. By giving full attention to the speaker, you can absorb everything they express.
- You can learn something new everyday. It could be using a TED video or a podcast or YouTube or skillshare or udemy or LinkedIn learning or any of these platforms. Continuous learning promotes neuroplasticity.
- You can mindfully stop mindless scrolling in the social media. Instead you can use technology for creativity and productivity.
- You can make your bed every morning. The first task of your day can give you a quick win.
- You can do some stretches in the morning. It could be a simple cat stretch or upa yoga or something that stretches your full body.
- You can take a mindful bath in a cold water. It can help you stretch better and start the day afresh.
- You can reach out to 2 people in social media that you look up to. Imagine reaching out to 730 people in a year. It can open up avenues unimagined.
- You can spend time in nature.
- You can make one decision every day mindfully. It brings in cognitive resilience.
- You can practice Yoga Nidra. A meditation that helps you get a restful sleep.
- You can plan your day and execute it throughout the day. A prioritised mind executes better.
- You can practice creativity everyday. Mindful art can help you enhance focus and taps into your creative potential.
- You can take a work break. By engaging in mindful activities (short walk, deep breathing, a quick meditation, watching greenery) rejuvenates your mind and enhances productivity.
- You can study the markets everyday and see how the world is moving. This enhances your decision making on your investments.
- You can keep a financial journal of your spends and earnings everyday.
All the above can be done for 10 mins everyday and doing it for 365 days enhances your quality of life, mental clarity, cognitive resilience and self awareness. We have so many dimensions to compound. Choose one and go deep into it with commitment.
🥂 to compounding!